NYinATX

new yorker living in texas

Monday, January 28, 2008

gardening: 101

well, to be honest, i'm not going to teach you to garden. i don't even know what i'm doing -- i'm winging it as someone i know (mom? dad?) would say. BUT, we did get our garden turned over. those of you that have read this blog from the beginning, remember my first attempt at a garden. and as fun as that was, i didn't count on the fact that last year would be so rainy and muddy and that the dog would take over the back yard. and in recent months, we have discovered that she can hop the garden fence -- not good if you want to actually grow something in the garden. so we've moved it and enlarged it. now it's on the east side of the house which gets loads of sun, but afternoon shade -- a good thing here in ATX.

we've also plotted out what we're planting and where and i've even put the rosemary in it's spot already. so we're on our way. i'd post a photo, but it's really not that pretty (nothing's planted yet), and it's literally only turned over. we still plan to cover it with the leaves from the yard and then a layer of mulch over that. then come planting time, we'll turn it all over and our veggies will be happy [fingers crossed!].

so what are you planting this year?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Brea in Texas said...

Better question might be what am I NOT planting this year?? Nine kinds of tomatoes (all heirloom), red potatoes, two kinds of spinach, swiss chard, several kinds of lettuce, 3 kinds of pole beans, shelling peas, corn, okra, and many, many herbs. I'm growing everything from seed this year (except the potatoes), so when y'all come over for the March book club, I can give you some little tomato plants if you'd like.

I'll probably be posting about my garden after I post my Friday Confession today, so you can see in a little more detail what I'll have. If you have any questions about what to plant, and what veggies take up different space, let me know! I can (maybe?) help. :)

~Brea

8:17 AM  
Blogger Gigster said...

There is supposed to be a real "Jersey" tomato on the market here in NJ this year - Ramapo. It is heirloom and really from NJ! Thought I'd try them. Other than that, you know the size of our back forty. A couple of tomato plants and we're full.

I'll come to TX and help you with your garden - and take some of those tomato plants Brea is offering :)

xxoo

Maggie

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home