NYinATX

new yorker living in texas

Thursday, March 06, 2008

dresses

i'm lucky, i work in an industry and at a company that doesn't require that i wear a suit to work, or even business casual. i can come to work in jeans and a t-shirt if i want. makes life easier since i don't have to have two different wardrobes -- one for work and one for play.

yesterday, however, i wore a dress to work (and heels!) because it was a nice day and i was going to see a client. so i dressed up - and let me tell you, people noticed! people at work actually asked me if i ever wore a dress before to work. (oh my!) do i really dress down that much? i guess i do! so i was going to finish out the week in dresses, but today is a rainy and cold day and so i bailed on my plan. i even got treated differently when i was wearing a dress. strangers held the door for me and the elevator. it was strange, and nice at the same time.

so now i have a goal -- wear a dress a week, get treated nicely and feel good.

do you wear dresses (or even skirts) in your everyday life -- that is if you're a female! -- let me know!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Gigster said...

you know how many nice clothes i have in my closet that have not seen the light of day in 2008? it would cost less to wear what i have and not buy new casual, but i do so love the casual :) xxoo maggie

11:37 AM  
Blogger Brea in Texas said...

Totally! I practically live in skirts in my everyday life. Some of them are really practical: long khaki or denim that I can wear and sit on the floor without worrying about flashing everyone, or that I can wear with some boots and help John clear brush or work outside. I have some nicer (but still long) skirts for church (as a rule, I never wear slacks at church). And I have some nicer, shorter skirts I can wear to dinner with John (you know, cause that happens sooooo often!) or out to somewhere.

I do have some good jeans that I love to death, but I don't know that I even own more than one or two dresses. I like skirts because they can be so dressy, or so casual; you can wear heels or boots with them, or flip-flops. They can be warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer, and I think they're usually more comfy.

Also, I've noticed that (casual or dressy) I'm treated differently when I'm in a skirt. More people call me 'ma'am' and more men open doors for me; I feel a little different, and John even treats me slightly differently (in a very good way). I feel more feminine, and I think it's a little easier to look modest and very pretty at the same time with some skirts.

Hm, this is getting long, and I could go on and on for several more paragraphs. :) I won't do that to you. New Friday Confession is up!

~Brea

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home